“We will not rest until the (FLSA) is followed by every employer, and each worker is treated and compensated fairly.”
– U.S. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis announcing a 33% staffing increase in investigators.
A BusinessWeek report says Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) lawsuits have “exploded nationwide,” and that “because wage-and-hour laws have been so widely violated, undetonated land mines remain buried in countless companies.”
Don’t make these pay-related mistakes!
- Wrongly classifying employees as exempt versus overtime,
- Paying hourly employees incorrectly for their travel time,
- Failing to retain payroll records for the right amount of time,
- Improperly paying staff when you closed the office during that last snow storm, or
- Violating the “rounding law”.
All it takes is one employee filing one complaint.