All good businesses seek ways to improve efficiencies and GREAT businesses seek efficiencies through effective people management. Yes, you can be profitable and even “successful” without a true people-focus, but you will never realize the organization’s true full potential unless you effectively manage the people aspect of your business. Being people-focused isn’t a feel-good, nice-to-have core value, but an actual business strategy that is well thought out, customized to fit your business and brings real value to your bottom-line AND top-line. When you truly have the realization that people make a difference, you will invest significantly in your people just as you do for marketing, sales strategy and technology. You must have consistent investment, policies, programs and process.
Every business should consider the HR basics below as they plan and prioritize their people initiatives. Well planned and implemented HR practices, processes and programs will enable your organization to realize its full potential.
1. Standardize your hiring process.
2. Implement a performance management system.
3. Develop and distribute an employee handbook.
4. Create an employee communications program.
5. Reduce use of legal counsel for basic workplace questions and issues.
6. Hire HR experts (consultants or employees) to design HR programs.
7. Appropriately document programs, issues and actions
8. Implement salary structures tied to job levels and performance.
10. Develop and document basic human resource policies and practices.
Have you reached your potential?